Light cabinets or dark cabinets- what a conundrum! No element in your kitchen has as much of an impact as the cabinets.
The cabinetry- and the color you choose for them- can affect everything from the atmosphere of the room to the resale value of your home. As such, it’s crucial to take your time to consider all of the cabinet colors available to you.
One of the first and most important decisions you’ll need to make is about whether you would prefer a light or a dark color for your kitchen cabinets. Read on below to help make your decision easier.
Light vs Dark Cabinets- Things to Consider
Before you begin looking at paint colors or cabinet samples, you will need to make a few important decisions about the overall look and feel of your kitchen.
First, think about the current design of your kitchen. This will narrow down your choices quite a bit as you will, naturally, want to choose a color that fits with your existing look.
For example, in traditional kitchens, classic colors like whites and browns look best, whereas bright and bold hues work well in modern spaces.
You should also think about the size of the room. In areas that are small or do not get a lot of natural light, dark cabinets can make the room feel smaller.
Light cabinets, alternatively, can help to open up a room and make it feel bigger.
Lastly, think about the desires of future buyers. No matter if you plan to sell your home soon or someday in the future, you should consider which colors will appeal to prospective buyers the most.
Advantages of Light Cabinets
Light shades and dark ones both have their benefits. Here are a few of the advantages of choosing light cabinets for your kitchen:
- They can make your kitchen feel bigger, more spacious, and more inviting. If you have a smaller kitchen, light-colored cabinets can make all the difference.
- They make kitchens feel brighter. Light colors reflect natural light, making it easy to work in your kitchen during the day without the use of artificial lights.
- Light colors pair well with other colors, giving you more flexibility to play with the colors of your walls, countertops, back-splash, appliances, and accent pieces. Plus, they also make other colors look more vibrant, giving your favorite pieces the backdrop they need to stand out.
- They have timeless appeal. White cabinets are still incredibly popular, but they are more than just a passing fad. Because of its clean style, light cabinetry is timeless.
- They boost the resale value. Many prospective homeowners prefer the look of light cabinets, which means having them can actually increase the value of your house.
Advantages of Dark Cabinets
The benefits of installing darker cabinets are:
- They work well in larger kitchens. When placed in a larger area, dark cabinets can warm up the room, especially when used to create contrast with light-colored counters or flooring.
- They have a luxurious feel. Dark finishes can create a feeling of richness and formality to a room, giving them a more upscale feel.
- Dark cabinets can also be edgy and modern. They can make an otherwise bland room look more vibrant and exciting.
- They require less maintenance. Dark-colored cabinets don’t show scratches and stains as much as light-colored ones. This makes them stronger against regular wear and tear, which is especially crucial if you have pets or children.
- Darker hues can open up a world of design options. Whereas lighter cabinets allow the other aspects of your kitchen to draw focus, dark cabinets put the spotlight on themselves. This gives you the chance to mix and match your other accessories in ways that you may not have thought possible before.
Ultimately, the choice is yours. While there is plenty to keep in mind, the most important thing is choosing a shade for your custom made kitchen cabinets that you can live with. For more help selecting the right cabinets for your space, contact us at iCabinetry.